July! The time of month to celebrate the births of nations, have BBQs, and enjoy the sun–but only just so long as there’s sun screen around, and so long as the temp stays around 30 or lower. This week we haven’t had much luck in cooler weather (we’re in a heat wave, in fact), so while my time outdoors is limited to walking the dog very briefly, and swimming, I can think of creative things to blog about when I’m not baking–literally and physically.
These are my top ten things I’m loving this month:
- Iced Coffee. I just started making this recently, and it appears to have become the next best thing to Tim Horton’s kind. Next up: homemade iced cappuccinos.
- The Virgin Cure, by Amy McKay. Last summer I was reading her first novel, The Birth House, which was nothing short of amazing. Her newest novel is just as intriguing to read, about a young girl finding her way in 1870s New York. Her use of detail and description of characters make it so vivid and appealing–I want to be able to write like her!
- Swimming. In a heat wave like this, it is a blessing. Or maybe water is, in general.
- Summer fruits. Peaches, plums, strawberries, blueberries… You name it, I bake it.
- Brightly coloured toenails in this very colour. (There’s the girl in me coming out.)
- So You Think You can Dance-I love watching the dance numbers! This season looks to be very promising. I’m particularly rooting for this gal right here, because she’s the bee’s knees.
- Scotland. I have yet to see the movie Brave, but I hear the scenery in the movie is brilliant. I’d love to visit there one day, but in the mean time I will have to settle for looking at pictures.
- The new Canadian-made series, Saving Hope. I told myself I wouldn’t get sucked into a hospital drama; but here I am, every Thursday night, watching the events unfold as a just-about-to-get-married man watches everything that goes on in the hospital, while he is in a coma. (His fiancee also works as a doctor there, and is trying to get through this, with the hope he’ll come out of it.) I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is very intriguing! (Not to mention there’s some good eye-candy.)
- Historiful. One of my favourite tumblr sites to visit. I love looking at rare pictures of old Hollywood idols I’d never knew existed. I could spend all day looking through it!